Myrtle Beach is one of the most flocked-to vacation spots and tourist destinations on the South East coast. This destination spot is known for its beautiful beaches, mild waves, big selection of golf courses, even bigger selection of mini-golf courses, its live shows, seafood restaurants, attractions, shopping and more! There are even some oddball facts Myrtle Beach is also known for like: it’s where Alabama got their big break, it’s home to the largest living cat in the world, and Myrtle Beach got its name from a contest in the 1900s.
Many who have never been always wondered what’s the draw? So we’ve put together a few lists to cover what Myrtle Beach is known for and some fun facts along the way.
Why is Myrtle Beach known for its beautiful beaches and mild waves?
- The fine and compacted sand makes for great sand castle building and easy walks along the beach.
- Mild waves are perfect for wading in the water for the whole family.
- It makes for the best family-friendly beach vacation! Check out our oceanfront resort for available packages for your next vacation.
Why is Myrtle Beach known for its golf course?
- Myrtle Beach has one of the BIGGEST and best selection of courses in the world.
- It’s home to the only golf course with a view of the Atlantic Ocean.
Why is Myrtle Beach known for its mini golf courses?
- Fun Fact: It’s proclaimed the Miniature Golf Capital of the World.
- It offers some of the biggest, challenging, and fun mini golf courses in the world.
- Three of our favorites include Mt. Atlanticus, Captian Hooks Adventure Golf, and Dunes Village very own mini-golf course.
Why is Myrtle Beach known for its live shows?
- The Alabama Theatre and Carolina Opry are renowned theatres on the South East coast.
- Fun Fact: Alabama (the band) originally started as the house band for Myrtle Beach’s oldest bar, The Bowery.
Why is Myrtle Beach known for its seafood?
- Many restaurants cook with local and fresh seafood caught in the inlet or the Atlantic Ocean.
- People from all over flock to eat at the Calabash & Seafood buffets in Myrtle Beach.
Why is Myrtle Beach known for its attractions?
- We have some of the best attractions on this side of the states like Myrtle Beach Safari, the SkyWheel, and Alligator Adventure.
- Fun Fact: Myrtle Beach is home to the Guinness Book of World Records largest living cat, a liger, who resides at Myrtle Beach Safari
- Fun Fact: It’s also home to the largest crocodile in the United State. They call him Utan, King of Crocs.
Why is Myrtle Beach known for its shopping?
- Myrtle Beach has multiple outlet shopping locations.
- Unique and boutique shops are sprinkled all throughout the Grand Strand.
- Check out The Hammock Shops in Murrells Inlet!